The brain is without question the most important, and yet least understood, of all the parts of the body. It controls every major function performed by the body, and its correct functioning is undoubtedly one of the crucial parts of having successful and happy life. However, due to the complexity of the brain, there are many things that can go wrong with it, and there are also many lifestyle factors that influence its performance. Food is one of the primary factors in optimizing brain function and preventing brain disease, and yet many people are unaware of exactly what foods they should be eating for these purposes.
Here is a list of the ten best brain foods, and why they work.
1. Eating oily fish is vital for the brain and nervous system. Fish such as sardines, anchovies and salmon contain the essential omega-3 fatty acids, many of which are directly involved in brain function, improving communication between brain cells, leading to better overall brain health.
2. Hot chilli peppers are actually also a great brain food as they contain an extremely large amount of vitamin C (more, in fact, than oranges), which is essential for the brain.
3. Pumpkin seeds are full of zinc, a mineral which has been shown to boost memory. There are many ways to enjoy them, and you only need around a handful a day to keep your brain in top shape.
4. Tomatoes play an important role in preventing brain disease, as they contain the antioxidant lycopene, which destroys free radicals in the body. Eating tomatoes can therefore help protect against such brain diseases as Alzheimer’s Syndrome.
5. Broccoli is another brain food that just can’t be beaten, containing vitamin K, vitamin C and antioxidants. Vitamin K is involved in proper brain function, and can help prevent age-related dementia.
6. Nuts of any kind contain vitamin E, which has been implicated in preventing memory loss, and they’re also full of healthy fats.
7. Surprisingly, the cacao bean (yes, the bean from which chocolate is made) has been proven to increase brain health. However, this isn’t an excuse to pig out, as most chocolate contains a very small amount of the actual bean, so it’s best to have a few squares a day of a dark chocolate with a very high cocoa percentage, like 85%.
8. Blueberries have long been celebrated as a superfood, and rightly so. Not only are they good for your bodily health, but are full of antioxidants and vitamins that fortify your brain health too.
9. Flax seeds are full of the very healthy fat ALA, which is is involved in brain function, and there are many ways to enjoy them, from breads to porridge to mixing them with other foods.
10. Finally, eggs provide the essential nutrient choline, which is only produced in the body in small amounts. Choline, in one form or another, actually makes up a large portion of the mass of the brain, so eating eggs can make a very significant difference to your brain health.
There are many more brain foods, but these have been shown to be some of the most effective. And with the wide variety of choice you have in this list alone, there’s no excuse to avoid eating them. So go on, improve your brain health and enjoy a nice varied diet, starting today.